Turn your dog’s favourite pastime into your favourite hobby – and have fun together!
Detector Dog guides you through the steps that will help you teach your dog how to detect a particular scent, no matter where it’s located. Hidden in a bag, under a sofa, on a car, or up a tree, searching for this scent will turn your dog’s favourite pastime into your favourite hobby.
- Training techniques suitable for all dogs – not just working dogs
- An emphasis on working in co-operation with your dog: true teamwork!
- Clear, coherent and comprehensive breakdown of how to teach scentwork
- Dedicated to searching for specific scents, rather than confusing a dog with tracking
- Scent teams are taken on a journey, from starter to advanced searches
- Addresses handling skills front and centre as keys to success
- Includes a great variety of ideas for searches, indoors and out
- Technical and practical explanations for searching in specific ways
- Reveals how safe searching is integral to good scentwork practice
- Based on operational skills combined with training and behavioural knowledge
As a drug detector dog handler with HM Customs & Excise, Pam Mackinnon searched all over the UK. From oil rigs to cruise ships, postal depots to airports and vehicles to houses.
Combining her detection skills with her work as a dog training and behaviour consultant, Pam developed the UK’s most successful scentwork training programme that teaches all dogs to become detector dogs. With over 30 years’ experience, you and your dog are in safe hands. Pam takes you through each stage of scentwork. Begin by introducing your dog to a specific scent. Move on to starter searches. And then on to advanced work, indoors and out.
Aided by illustrations and full colour photographs of many different breeds at work, this manual will open up a whole new world of activities that you and your dog can enjoy together.